My Interview with HOPE!

“Study after study shows that when we think we are going to do well at something, we actually do.” -Sarah Marley

I’ve written about “hope” before and the stigma it carries within my heart.  For whatever reason, the idea and meaning of the word keep popping up, no matter where I look.

Hope is one of those words for happy-go-lucky people, isn’t it? Or maybe those people who are sitting across from the doctor being told they have three weeks to live? Then you’re forced to have hope, right?

I promise, I AM NOT bashing hope: it’s just something I struggle with. This morning HOPE is starring me in the face and when I try to slip out of it’s presence, it follows me like the unruly shadow in Peter Pan.

Enough of my cinicism! Time to share a sampling of wisdom, blaring from the trumpet of the Holy Spirit through God’s Word:

“And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.” (‭Romans‬ ‭5‬:‭5‬ NIV)

The Notes in my Bible explain: “The believer’s hope is not to be equated with unfounded optimism. On the contrary, it is the confident expectation and blessed assurance of our future destiny and is based on God’s love, which is revealed to us by the Holy Spirit and objectively demonstrated to us in the death of Christ.”

The apostle Paul writes about hope being second to “faith” and followed up by “love.”  So, through the Holy Spirit, which is our gift from God when we profess our Faith in Jesus, we are able to have HOPE through the LOVE God has already, and continues, “to pour out into our hearts!” (Now Breathe! ….long sentence! Whew!)

“Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God.” (‭Romans‬ ‭5‬:‭1-2 NIV)

Often times, I fear the idea of weakness. I think it has a lot to do with how my mother raised me: “You need to be tough, Greta!”   She was mostly referring to being tough in the realms of peer pressure and laziness.

My mom is one of the toughest people I’ve even known- by far. She’s 5’1″ (or so- not sure since we shrink with age…;). She looks and sounds like the sweetest person on earth… But that woman is fierce! A school teacher by trade and strait up fierce by nature. My respect and appreciation for her is boundless.

But sometimes I also fear my mindset is a bit ridged and I need to place my fears in the hands of God.  I need to STOP trying to be the All-In-One Olimipiad of Strength and Might! Haha- a little dramatic…

Lord, Thank you for your Son and for giving us salvation, love and hope!  Please forgive my stubbornness, Father. I pray for the will to turn my struggles over to You and for a softened heart to receive Your Grace and Hope.  In, Jesus’ Name Amen

With Hope and a smiling heart,

❤️Greta

“Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.” (‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭4‬:‭16‬ NIV)

I cant post without a picture…so, here is Jack in his Star Wars hoodie!

19 Comments

Add yours →

1. Chatterbox Chick June 18, 2015 — 1:22 PM

okay I had to read this again as I have had some faith issues since my dad died and a few other things in my life have happened. I too struggle with hope sometimes. More so faith than hope, but I absolutely love how you put this out there. I think everyone, even the best christians (godly people) struggle. Off to read more of your blogs. While you struggle I see hope in the fact that you are writing and sharing your struggles with us.

Liked by 2 people

• I really appreciate your feedback- going through rough life events can create serious questions and cynicism within a soul. I honestly didn’t consider hope as even a thought before the faith part became a “spec” on the horizon. I always thought one needed to have a lot more faith than I had, or even have, from day to day. I hope this make a little bit of sense!☀️I’ve been out in he sun for too long!

Liked by 2 people

• Chatterbox Chick June 18, 2015 — 5:06 PM

Oh a sun lover I knew I liked you, smiles. I truly believe that in life the hardest times, the times we lose hope, faith and our way are the times that define us and the fact that you share your vulnerabilities with others is a truly wonderful thing. I think reading your blogs help and inspire others because your honest and open and people can relate. I plant to read all your blogs. I was sitting down to write two blogs that came to mind on coffee number 4, but yeah haven’t done it YET.

Liked by 1 person

• I plan to read more of yours! I read a few last night and absolutely love your writing style and your page is so awesome- kind of retro (I hope I’m using the correct terminology!) I’ve always written in my journal and my husband encouraged me to write the blog. Most of the time it’s to get through all the junk that’s been causing the train wrecks in my life- so I have a long way to go! And I switched to iced tea…and now water. Boring old water. 😣

Liked by 1 person

• Chatterbox Chick June 18, 2015 — 5:32 PM

I have wrote for years in journals but my journals are usually not snarky, witty, humor or cynical, they are deep dark, twisted or profound and heartfelt. I sometimes will write lighthearted but not usually. Thank you for the compliments. Most my stuff is fly be the seat of my pants. I had another wordpress, and most of the blogs Im transferring as I went to a paid wordpress site. I will write new blogs later this evening. Mmm tea. I love tea too, maybe your a sister from another mother. I think your husband was right, you have a voice, share it. You should try to submit some of your writings. Getting paid to blog sounds like the way to go, it is harder than you think though. I have had a few articles published. I may add links and that blog eventually. Most my stuff makes people wonder if im on drugs or drunk, lol. I love all things retro. I hate the layout but my choices are dismal when it comes to smartphone friendly.

Liked by 1 person

• You’re making me blush! Getting paid to blog seems like a dream come true sort of thing- I’d bounce off the walls if I could do that! I’d have to drink coffee just to sit still for 5 minutes!
        That is very exciting that you’ve gotten published!!! Now that you told me, I’m going to have to get advise from you in the future. I’m a lot like you described with the adhd- very easily distracted and most of what I do write in my blog, I don’t even have the patience to edit perfectly. Sometimes I look back after posting and I can see all the editorial markups a professor would add (in my mind.) and I didn’t get the impression you were impaired at all! Witty, yes! I can say this for sure because I did read a few blogs who’s writer were actually drunk- admittedly drunk! Interesting, but very sloppy.

Liked by 1 person

• Chatterbox Chick June 18, 2015 — 6:03 PM

I never edit on my other blog I even put a disclaimer to the uptight people worried about no quotes and a period in the wrong spot. Well you have some fabulous articles/blogs you should submit your stuff. Of course I only submit to adult, humor oriented sites but sisterwives has the link on the bottom of their page, I know. Not sure if you are using a free wordpress or have paid for a site through wordpress.org but Google adsense pays. Man me giving advice is probably not a wise choice, we may both me in orange and on that hbo show, wait is that show on hbo? I would probably write better drunk, pours whiskey in my coffee cup. I think the truth unless your writing some best seller there is little money to be made. But hey I am happy i made 6.00 last week, makes me feel better for wasting time just sitting here. ADHD is a wonderful thing and yet a horrible thing. I am unmedicated, that is never good *chuckles*. What do you like to read?

Liked by 1 person

• You have me stumped on what I like to read!!! That’s horrible that I’m drawing a blank since it seems like all I do is read! I read a lot of blogs! I have found a huge fascination and new understanding of the Bible. I’m half way through a book called Soul Tattoo and I really need to read my Canon Manual! My grandfather gave me a cat humor book and my Grandmother gave me really fat book that’s part of a series…tmi?! It’s hard to really focus much in the summer with all these little rascals here at the house!

Liked by 1 person

• Chatterbox Chick June 18, 2015 — 7:52 PM

okay inquiring minds aka me has to know, how many kids and ages. Oh the canon manual. I was a photographer for years and I have yet to ever read the read manual *shrugs*. I have read the bible when I was younger. I was even on the bible quiz team at one point which was basically memorizing the bible *eeks*. I love reading blogs. I could do that all night long. Soul Tattoo, hmm. I’ll have to google or goodreads it.

LoL at cat book. I wonder how informative that is/was and a fat book, like as in huge or as in about being fat or dieting or other?

Liked by 1 person

• hahaha! The cat book: more like a cartoon book with a cat and it’s dealings with it’s owner (it drops his toothbrush into the toilet and then flushes the toilet with it’s owner is in the shower….EXACTLY why I don’t have a cat! 😉 The fat book is by Diana Gabaldon- I think it’s the first in a series that keeps my Grandmother highly engaged. oh, and my kiddos- 8, 9 and 11. I read the bible when I was younger, then pieces of it through out the years. My studies now are so much different and I am truly moved. I think it has a lot to do with finally being able to let go of so many years of pain caused by a skewed sense of Who God is based on my imperfect ability to “conform.”

Liked by 1 person

• Chatterbox Chick June 18, 2015 — 9:28 PM

Ha to the cat book, sounds like a coffee table book. Sounds like you have been godly for a long time and your struggles as a christian sound familiar. Wow to those ages, that’s a full time job right there. Enjoy it though, as they grow up so fast. I finally figured out and got all my about me, contact and wanna be interviewed pages figured out. Only 2 weeks later, lol. Someday I hope to study the bible a bit, especially areas that pertain to every day life, sin and other, but for now Im gonna continue to swear and sin. I know pray for me and conform is a very serious word *eeeks*.

• It’s a scary word (conform)! Especially when it’s used in a judgmental way and by the wrong people. What I do know for sure is we cannot be forced into a box of perfection or understanding, or even a desire, for any direction we go. The who idea of conviction, and I bet some people will disagree, is meant to be a choice on our behalf, not someone forcing you or guilting you into a religious mold. …That cat book is probably a coffee table book- but my dog would probably shred it if I put it out there!

Liked by 1 person

• Chatterbox Chick June 18, 2015 — 10:16 PM

I agree on the word conform and your thinking. LoL at the dog shredding it, that would be awful..=(

Liked by 1 person

• He’s called “jack the shredder” for good reason!

2. Awh.. thank you for sharing. Life without HOPE is meaningless. Be blessed beyond measure Greta.

Liked by 2 people